Help with removing trim panel to fit Webasto heater

die ersten Sprinter (T1N)
Adrianlle

Re: Help with removing trim panel to fit Webasto heater

Beitrag von Adrianlle » 10.01.2018 17:28

Thanks, Thomas. Spent the morning stripping out the old system. It will be next week now when I can fit the new system. On my yellow interior Cook the Eberspacher fuel pump is not inside the heater box but suspended on rubber from the chassis near the differential. So will have to measure the new loom to see the best place to mount it. I would like to put the new temp sensor near the old one but impossible to do the wiring I think without dismantling the interior! So still wondering how ixcebichee wired it into the grey panel that is at right angles to the cupboard where the multi controller is mounted. If ixcebichee is reading this perhaps he can tell me! Adrian

Thomas T.

Beitrag von Thomas T. » 10.01.2018 20:38

Hello Adrian,

there was a very long extra Loom for the fuel pump in both Webasto sets, so you can use the same place for the new pump and use the existing fuel pipes.
The wiring for the temperature sensor is already there, from the sensor to the control unit above the windscreen and from there til under the driver's seat. You only have to remove the pillar trim panel behind the sliding door, the Westfalia-control unit and the seat, connect the wires and make contact to the Webasto loom.
Was nützt der Tiger im Tank wenn hinter'm Steuer ein Esel sitzt?
Schön'n Gruß, Thomas
JC 312D Automatik, Bj.'96

Adrianlle

Beitrag von Adrianlle » 11.01.2018 11:44

Thank you again Thomas. 2 more questions in the loom and 19n the fuel pump, please.
1. I have worked out nearly all the Webasto connections from the looms but there is a single yellow wire coming from the loom at the heater end. I cannot work out what that is or what it connects to. ?
2. In my kit is the remote temperature sensor and cable for it. But I cannot work out where the cable from the sensor connects to the loom from the heater?
3. When I start up I want to purge any air from the fuel line to the heater before connecting the fuel line to the heater. I can’t think how to power up the pump independently of starting the heater from the multi controller. How did you do that?
Thanks again for all the help. We are moving forward. Adrian

Thomas T.

Beitrag von Thomas T. » 11.01.2018 15:13

Hello Adrian,

I'm trying hard to remember, but 10 months is a long time for an old brain :wink: .

I remember the yellow wire with a white plastic connector, therefore I called my dealer and he told me it’s to connect a tester to check the heater. Look at the picture of my new heater, you can see a piece of it in the loom.

For the temperature sensor, there is one end of the main loom with a brown wire with plastic connector, one grey/red and one gray/blue wire with only metall pins. I’m not sure with the colors but for the two wires with the pins, there is a plastic connector in one plastic bag wich meshes to that one at one end of the sensor loom. Plus and Minus are here nonrelevant. :oops: Oh oh, what a sentence, hope you can follow :oops: .

DSCN1184.jpg
DSCN1184.jpg (116.62 KiB) 421 mal betrachtet

For filling the fuel line before connecting I used the extension cable delivered by Webasto because there is the meshing connector fort he pump at one end and I didn’t need it. I cut off the other end and pushed the uninsulated ends of the wires to the terminals of a car battery. Yust for a short time but frequently til Diesel comes out of the pipe without bubbles. I think you will need the extension cable so you have to look for another power supply for the pump.
Zuletzt geändert von Thomas T. am 17.03.2021 21:45, insgesamt 2-mal geändert.
Schön'n Gruß, Thomas

Adrianlle

Beitrag von Adrianlle » 11.01.2018 17:30

Thanks again Thomas. I will ignore the yellow wire. So if I understand for the temp sensor the brown wire from the harness with a connector on the end is ignored. That leaves the two wires with metal pins. They are inserted into the spare plastic connector. That connector is then connected to the like connector coming from the sensor. Is that correct? If so you have been a lot more use than my dealer who couldn’t really help.

As I have the multicontroller hd and not the mc04 my dealer told me to connect the multicontroller to the socket on the harness marked for telestart and thermocall. He told me to ignore the sockets labelled for the mc04 and mc04 potentiometer. Is that what you did?

Finally, the instruction manual and wiring diagrams are not very clear about which sockets to plug the harness into at the heater. There are 3 small sockets and one big socket. The big socket is obvious. But which ones for the 3 loom plugs. One has purple and grey wires which maybe I can ignore. One has orange and green wires. One has grey/red and grey/ blue, which I now understand comes from the sensor But which plugs go in which sockets. ?

Tomorrow I will need to order an extension harness for the fuel pump so that I can get independent power to the pump to bleed it of air.

When this job is done I will owe you many glasses of beer! Thank you.
Adrian

Thomas T.

Beitrag von Thomas T. » 11.01.2018 18:47

Hi Adrian,
Adrianlle hat geschrieben:
11.01.2018 17:30
I will ignore the yellow wire. So if I understand for the temp sensor the brown wire from the harness with a connector on the end is ignored. That leaves the two wires with metal pins. They are inserted into the spare plastic connector. That connector is then connected to the like connector coming from the sensor. Is that correct?
Correct
As I have the multicontroller hd and not the mc04 my dealer told me to connect the multicontroller to the socket on the harness marked for telestart and thermocall. He told me to ignore the sockets labeled for the mc04 and mc04 potentiometer. Is that what you did?
Correct, it's the socket with the red, black and green wire.
Finally, the instruction manual and wiring diagrams are not very clear
Correct :D .
You can't confound the plugs. Every plug is a little bit different and can only be plugged in its socket.
The purple and gray can be ignored, the orange and green is the fuel pump and the grey/red and grey/blue is the temperature sensor.

Only for bleeding the fuel pipe it isn't necessary to buy an extension cable, I would cut off the pump loom and fix it after bleeding.
When this job is done I will owe you many glasses of beer! Thank you.
I am very pleased and I like it to help you.
Schön'n Gruß, Thomas

Adrianlle

Beitrag von Adrianlle » 11.01.2018 20:00

Ok. Understood now and look forward to installing everything next week. I thought about cutting the fuel pump loom and then reconnect with shrinkfit connectors. But I was afraid that because the Webasto wiring was canbus that might not be possible. But sounds as if cutting and rejoining the separate fuel pump loom would be ok? Is that right? I assume I then just touch spare battery terminals to send repeated pulses to the fuel pump until air has been bled? Adrian

Thomas T.

Beitrag von Thomas T. » 11.01.2018 20:28

Hi Adrian,
11.01.2018 20:00
But sounds as if cutting and rejoining the separate fuel pump loom would be ok? Is that right? I assume I then just touch spare battery terminals to send repeated pulses to the fuel pump until air has been bled?
Alright.
Schön'n Gruß, Thomas

Adrianlle

Beitrag von Adrianlle » 11.01.2018 22:54

Thomas, thank you. One further question - when I cut the loom to the fuel pump, which of the orange and green wires will be positive and which negative for connecting to a spare battery to bleed the fuel line of air?
You will be able to get a job as an English Professor after all these emails to me! Adrian

Thomas T.

Beitrag von Thomas T. » 12.01.2018 06:52

Good morning Adrian,

I connected the orange one to minus. But I think it's nonrelevant the fuel pump works with an electromagnet.
Schön'n Gruß, Thomas

Adrianlle

Beitrag von Adrianlle » 15.01.2018 18:04

Good Evening Thomas. Almost there. Just need to bleed the new fuel line, reconnect the fuel pump loom back together and then deep breath before switching on. Can I first check though that I have got the wiring correct under the seat box? The old Eberspacher harness coming into the seat box from below has a big red/yellow wire, a brown wire and then several smaller wires going into a connector.
I have disconnected the connector and left loose the part of it not coming from the Eberspacher. I have then connected the big red/yellow wire to the red fused wire from the new harness from the heater. I have connected the brown on the new harness to the earthing point for other brown wires at the bottom of the seat box. I have then put the 20amp fuse in the new holder between the thick red wires and the 1 amp fuse in the other part of the new fuse holder. I have not used the 15amp fuse that came with the kit. Is this correct? If so looking forward to tomorrow with a mixture of enthusiasm and fear for testing!! Adrian

Thomas T.

Beitrag von Thomas T. » 15.01.2018 20:19

Hello Adrian,

it seems that the wiring is done correctly. Only the big, current-carrying wire coming from the fusebox behind the bench seat into the drivers seatbox is in my James Cook red/black, maybe Westfalia anytime changed the colours.
The new heater should do his work, so good luck for tomorrow. And please tell us whether everything is ok. Perhaps with some pictures?
Schön'n Gruß, Thomas

Adrianlle

Beitrag von Adrianlle » 16.01.2018 14:11

Oh dear! Switched the Webasto on for first time. And error message T12. Checked system info on controller and selected airtop 40. But still T12. The Error page in the controller says that is a communication failure in the W Bus. Any ideas? Worst case is that I will have to take the Cook to a Webasto dealer to check everything through. But that will be very expensive. I think to begin with I will take the heater box off again -grrr- and check all the connections inside it. What do you think?
Adrian

Thomas T.

Beitrag von Thomas T. » 16.01.2018 14:53

Hello Adrian,

select " AT 40/50 " in the multi controll set up and try again.
Schön'n Gruß, Thomas

Adrianlle

Beitrag von Adrianlle » 16.01.2018 17:23

Thomas, I had already tried that but still had the error code. So I took off the stainless steel box again and checked the wiring harness connections inside the heater. I discovered that the main harness wasn’t clicked in far enough so part of it had loosened. By the time I had put the box back on underneath and reconnected the fuel line, exhaust etc a few hours had slipped by in the rain! But joy if joys the system fired up immediately on QuickStart with no error messages. So all seems to be well. I will give it a thorough test tomorrow and then reassemble the interior! Once I have done that I will post some pictures. Thank you for all the help. Adrian.

Antworten

Zurück zu „James Cook Generation 2 (1995-2006)“