James Cook spare parts

die zweite Generaton Sprinter (NCV3)
AeFFe

James Cook spare parts

Beitrag von AeFFe » 10.09.2018 15:10

Hello. Let me introduce myself.

My name is angelo and I live in Rome (Italy).
My interest in this forum is related to my interestin in James Cook and to purchase a Westfalia James Cook 2008-2012.
Said that, I am a little worried about spare parts availability not related to Mercedes but related to westfalia parts.
For instance the James Cook I am now evaluating has a problem to the panoramic window. One of this does not work pushing the related button. It remains closed.
Could you please let me know is replacement parts are still available and where? Could you also help me to find service points in Italy? And, at the end, which is your opinion about the problem of the window?

Thanks in advance for your help and sorry for my very poor english.

AF

AeFFe

Re: James Cook spare parts

Beitrag von AeFFe » 12.09.2018 12:29

87 readers
0 writers

:(

Jake.Coffee

Beitrag von Jake.Coffee » 12.09.2018 16:38

Dear AeFFe,

If you intend to buy a NCV3 James Cook, you’ll on a good way I guess.
For the roof window, you’ll find hints in the forum and it is a part, used also in other vehicles and often you can fix problems without a replacement. It starts with an analysis of the problem, electrical power available etc. so my impression is, a not working panorama window will influence the price, but it can be fixed in any case.

May be a question to Westfalia directly can give you a hint on the Italy related questions, dealers, service center spare parts, etc.

If the rest of the James Cook is in good condition buy it.

Best Regards
Jake.Coffee - JC NCV3 - 2007 - 318 - Automatik - Nr. 16

Vtxbe

Beitrag von Vtxbe » 12.09.2018 19:27

Dear Aeffe

Let us some time to reply...
I had a problem - the same as a lot people - with the panoramic sunroof 2 years ago and I replace the windows. The parts were ordered to Mercedes without any problem.

Most of trouble may be solved by using non Mercedes/Westfalia spare parts.

It seems this car has a good value on mobile.de.

Good luck and welcome in JC team.

AeFFe

Beitrag von AeFFe » 13.09.2018 08:07

Dear Jake and Vixbe,

thank you very much for your reply. That are exactly the words I hope to listen.
Jake, yes, the JC I am dealing with is dated 2010 so I think it is an NCV3 James Cook.
It should be in a good condition but actually, I have seen just some pictures. Everything has to be confirmed next week when I will have the opportunity to examine it directly.
A possible issue could be that it ran for about 100.000 km. An 8 years old camper in Italy should have 50.000-60.000 km. I am aware that a Mercedes Sprinter is able to run for 250.000-300.000 km but It is in some way disgraceful.
Anyway, next week I will know if I am a new JC owner or not. I hope so :)

Which kind of check (fridge, heating, ...) do you suggest to verify the correct functioning of the JC?

AeFFe

P.S.
It will be very useful to have a manual explaining how to perform easy maintenance (for instance examine the electrical circuit and determine if there are some fault in it).
Where could I find it? Could a forum user help me to get one?

fleep

Beitrag von fleep » 13.09.2018 21:42

Welcome to the forum,

Great questions, and I wish that someone could have helped me.

Here is what to look for on a quick inspection.

Firstly, look for rust. White vans suffer more than others, but if it is rusty then run away.

Mileage isn't going to be a big problem but obviously the lower the better.

Inside the van, check the following.

Heating. The central control panel will turn on the diesel heater and boiler. You should hear it start and within 10 minutes hot water coming out of the taps in the kitchen and bathroom.

Fridge. Same control panel will turn it on. You will hear it start and after maybe 15 mins you will feel it getting cold.

Check all the window blinds. They should run in both directions easily. Probably, they won't but that can usually be adjusted. If they are broken, they are super expensive to replace.

Check that electric system is working by connecting to 230v. The door opens with the small key and is located by the back door.

Check that lower bed operates easily. It should lower and more importantly return without heroic efforts. The gas ram can fail and it's not so easy or cheap to fix. Ask the seller to demonstrate it to you . Don't accept them using the emergency method to release the bed (pulling the rod under the bed and not using the button on top of the seat back)

Check the bathroom door is not broken. The rail is known to be weak.

Check windows are not leaking or deformed.

Check the top bed operates correctly. It should be easy to move and lock into place with the standard mattress.

Check the plastic box under the rear seat works and isn't broken.

Check for water leaks from the airport water tank. Tip the lower bed and then remove the access panel.

Check that the cab blinds are present.

If there is an inverter check that it works.

Check the water drain valve under the van works.

Check the water level gauge in the central control panel. Ask to fill the tank and empty the waste tank. See if the levels are true or showing false readings. A quarter empty waste tank even when freshly empty shows a faulty sensor.

Check that all the cupboards open and close easily, and that they don't open on their own. You will understand this when playing with them.

Check the retaining strap for the ladder is present and not broken.

Check the shower works as a shower spray.

Check the water drains from the bathroom sink, shower tray and kitchen sink.

Check that the toilet flushes well.

Check all the lights work, including the large one by the bathroom.

Check the storage nets inside the van are not worn out and floppy.

Check the gas works and the spark button works.

Check the extra kitchen top works and is present.

Check the awning cover stays up on the gas rams.it might be floppy and changing them is not trivial.

Check the awning legs are not corroded

Check the condition of the awning fabric by rolling it out.

Check the rain sensor for the sun roof works by making it wet. You will need a hose or to kneel on the top bed for this.

Ok I hope that helps? Sorry but I wrote this in English as I imported my van to the from Italy via Germany. It was a 2007 with around 50,000 km.

fleep

Beitrag von fleep » 13.09.2018 21:52

Also, I forgot. Check that the battery charger works. When you connect to 230V you should see the voltage on the control panel increase, and also a plug icon on the screen. It's fairly common for the charger to die, and it is very low performance anyway with 12 amp total output. The voltage should go up to around 14.2 volts when on mains connection, and be around 12.6 when disconnected and the engine off.

Also, check the voltage is at or over 14v when disconnected from 230v but with the engine running. If it is only 13v or so, you may need to change the battery cable from the alternator. This seems a common issue and easily fixed for a few hundred euro.

AeFFe

Beitrag von AeFFe » 14.09.2018 05:06

WOW!

I am Italian and my english is a quite poor. But no problem.
I have a lot of time to understand everything. Problem is also that I don't know JC, I never have had one, so apart from language comprehension, I actually do not understand which equipment you refer to.

Ok. Let me start now. Help me please if I need.

Next 19 September I am to be able to perform any checks.

AF

AeFFe

Beitrag von AeFFe » 14.09.2018 08:29

Dear fleep,

I have carefully red your post and, stangely, understand almost everything.

Unfortunately I will be not able to perform the following checks:

- "The electric system is working". There is no 230v.

- "The plastic box under the rear seat works and isn't broken". What is the plastic box?

- "The water level gauge in the central control panel". There is no water.

- "The rain sensor for the sun roof works by making it wet." There are no water. Perhaps I can try with some water in a bottle.

- "The battery charger works." There are no 230v.

- "The voltage is at or over 14v". Same reason.

Probably I will be able to perform the other tests. Thanks again.

AF

fleep

Beitrag von fleep » 15.09.2018 13:32

Hi,

It's really important that you can check the JC with a seller who can help demonstrate the basics. If the boiler isn't working, it could be very expensive to repair or replace it.

I'm not sure where the van is, but it must be possible to fill perhaps 20 litres of water in the van to test. The fresh water fill is at the rear of the van on the driver's side.

Also, if you can connect the van to a 230v power supply this will allow you to test the electric circuits and the battery charger.

The plastic box is a storage place under the bed seat. It will be obvious when opening the side door of the JC. Check if the round plastic underneath the seat foam at the front right corner is broken. This is very common as the seat folds into the bed and can damage it. The box opens by pulling on a slider towards the side door. You will see it easily when you convert the rear seat into a bed.

If you cannot test the electric power and the heating system, you will be taking a large gamble with the JC. Best case scenario, everything works perfectly. Worst case, everything is faulty and you can spend another 5,000 EUR to fix it. Some parts have limited availability so that's also a risk. Personally, I would not purchase a van that I could not test unless it was from a trusted local dealer and had a warranty.

Good luck!

fleep

Beitrag von fleep » 15.09.2018 13:37

Also, get a copy of the PDF Mercedes manual for the Cook. You will need to translate it using Google translate, but it will help you to understand all of the features. This is what I did until someone sent me the English version! If you can get the manual and study the instructions, it will help you more than anything. 👍

AeFFe

Beitrag von AeFFe » 15.09.2018 23:22

Fleep I think to be able to test the boiler and the heating system. "No water" means that I will be in a parking and there is no water around me. But some water is hopefully in the JC.

Now I understand what is the plastic box. I'll check it. Unfortunately I have no hope for 230 voltage test.

Thanks again for your help.

Angelo Fucci

AeFFe

James Cook spare parts

Beitrag von AeFFe » 16.09.2018 10:51

about worst case ... JC I am going to test costs 49.000 euro. Dated 2010. Mercedes Sprinter 318 (yes, I don't know why. In 2010 there were Mercedes Sprinter 319). Maintenance has been performed NOT in Mercedes. I foresee to spend about 2.000-3.000 euro to repair some broken or bad functioning parts. Also if I spend 5.000 euro (worst case) at the end JC will cost 54.000 euro. I think it is not a bad price. A bit expensive for the Italian market but not so for the German one.

What do, and the other forum user, think about it?

AF

Vtxbe

James Cook spare parts

Beitrag von Vtxbe » 16.09.2018 16:38

you are the payer; it is difficult for us to be at your place...
I bought 2 years ago (Sept 2016) NCV3 year 2007 120.000 km 318 automatic at 50.000€ VAT incl. General condition was good or very good.
some remarks of Fleep were pertinent:

- plastic box under the seat was a little bit broken -> i repared with glue and black plastic, no costs
- the gas spring of the lower bed was lazy -> I replaced the gas spring very easy to do, not too expensive check post about it
- the vertical light near the door of the bathroom did not work -> I replace per 1 meter of Leds, 5 € but 2 hours of labor.
- the panoramic sunroof was unsealed;-> I replaced it check post about it, 1800€ 2 hours of labor

I'm engineer and I'm not afraid to repare all by myself
I have the feeling, the most important to check is the fridge. (Heater, water pump, wc, battery charger,... are easy to find as spare parts in a non Westfalia shop.

And last but not least, If you have a plan to use the van by less than 5 grade, you have to upgrade the heater. I add an airtronic 4kW (1500€) and I'm very happy with the upgrade.

Do you have seen this one : https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/deta ... 2afdbe740d

PS I have a french user manual in pdf (it could be easier than german); do you want it, send mp.

AeFFe

Beitrag von AeFFe » 16.09.2018 18:11

Thank you Vtxbe for your help.
Manual is actually appreciated. I send you my email.

I am not an engineer. I have a degree in Mathematic, but I like to repair my camper by myself and hope to be able to do so ... with your support :).

I'll check the fridge very carefully.

I don't think to use the JC by less 5 grade.

About your link price is a quite convenient but my concern is for 227.000 km and about it is not 180 hp but only 150 hp.

AF

Antworten

Zurück zu „James Cook Generation 3 (2006-2012)“